Friday, May 20, 2011

We Found a Robin's Nest!

A few days ago noticed that a bird had been squawking by our front porch lately, but didn't really think anything of it until I saw the bird quickly fly from the bush but then stayed close by and watch me.

It was then that I noticed the bright blue robin's eggs!  What IS is about robins? Is it their bright red chest or their tiny, bright blue eggs that attract us so much? The kids are SOOOO excited about newborn chicks that have hatched! "They're so adorable!" they my kids all said. (Honestly, I was surprised the windows didn't crack from the high-pitched voices they were using!) They've all taken to calling momma bird "Mrs. Robin" too, which I think is hilarious. I'm not exactly when the chicks hatched, but they're at least 3 days old now, and are still little grey fluff balls.

Observing the mother bird, and the baby chicks is providing a great science activity for the kids. I'm even considering buying THESE cute note-cards to commemorate the event with the kids. Check out the Washington Department of Fish & Wildlife for interesting facts on the beautiful birds.

No comments:

Post a Comment